The cookie settings on this website are set to 'allow all cookies' to give you the very best experience. If you continue without changing these settings, you consent to this - but if you want, you can change your settings at any time at the bottom of this page.


A water-soluble compound – CO (NH2)2 , Urea is the most popular and commonly used nitrogen fertilizer worldwide with more than 46% nitrogen, it has the highest nutrient concentration among the commercially available solid nitrogen fertilizers. It can be applied in solid prilled or granulated form.

In the soil, urea is converted from carbamide nitrogen to ammonium ions (NH4+) by a series of enzyme reactions. Under normal soil conditions. The ammonium ions are adsorbed by the soil (i.e. become attached to the negatively charged soil particles) and the nitrogen becomes available to the plant. This breakdown of urea to release ammonium ions normally occurs within a week.

The most favorable conditions for the efficient adsorption of ammonium ions are:

  • When urea fertilizer is incorporated or well washed into the soil;
  • When the soil has a high adsorption capacity;
  • When the soil is sufficiently moist;
  • When the soil has a low pH:
  • At low temperatures.

Unfavorable conditions, such as

  • Persistent drought
  • High temperatures and strong winds.
  • Soils which, has a low capacity for adsorbing ammonium;
  • Soil, which has a high pH.

may promote measurable gaseous losses of ammonia (NH3), which has been converted from ammonium and released to the atmosphere.

Production Capacity

SAFCO is one of the largest producer of urea in the world. Our annual production capacity is over 2.6 million ton of urea. Around 13% of total urea production is consumed in the local market and remaining 87% is exported to the International market.

Production Process

Urea is produced by reacting liquid Ammonia NH3 with a gas called carbon dioxide CO2. The conversion to urea is not complete; Therefore urea is separated and purified. The urea solution from this stage is a molten urea which is further concentrated to final granulation or prilling step.


Product Specification

46 – 0 – 0 Granular Urea
Physical form :White Granular
Chemical Formula :CO (NH2) 2
Chemical Analysis :
Total Nitrogen (Wt %) :46.0 Minimum
Biuret (Wt %) :1.0 Maximum
Moisture (Wt %) :0.5 Maximum
Size: 2 to 4 MM (Wt %) :90.0 Minimum
(Between tyler Mesh 5 & 9)
46 – 0 – 0 Prilled Urea
Physical Form :White Prills
Chemical Formula :CO (NH2) 2
Chemical Analysis :
Total Nitrogen (Wt %) :46.0 Minimum
Biuret (Wt %) :1.1 Maximum
Moisture (Wt %) :0.5 maximum
Size: 1 to 2.8 MM (Wt %) :90.0 Minimum
(Between Tyler Mesh 7 to 16)

Urea Applications

Mainly used as Nitrogen Fertilizer. Other application includes production of Melamine, Urea – Formaldehyde resin and acrylate plastic.

Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS)

Link : Material Safety Data Sheet - urea

Target Markets

Asia :34%
North America :25%
Australia / New Zealand :21%
Local :13%
Africa :06%
South America :01%